It's the perfect time to be a football fan, as Europe's major leagues are back with new seasons to play. Even more exciting for many, EA Sports is set to release FIFA 22 in just a few weeks.
There has been a lot of talk 473ur of the next football title with players eager to try out new aspects of Pro Clubs and Career modes. In addition to these adjustments, EA Sports has also made changes to some Ultimate Team features, including Division Rivals and FUT Champions.
Now, to dig deeper into FUT 22 content, here are the best tactics, formations, and custom player instructions to get your squad up and running right away.
FIFA 22 Custom Formations, Tactics, Player Instructions
A good place to start when looking at the tactical side of your Ultimate Team is finding a formation that works for your team. This will give your team structure and help develop game patterns that you can use to better shape your gameplay.
There are so many ways to set up your team, 3, 4 or 5 at the back, tight or crowded midfield. And of course, the first line. Whether you play single target, front 3 or false nine, FIFA 22 will have a formation to suit your style.
Based on FIFA 21 gameplay stats, here are Ultimate Team's most popular formations.
This is the most used formation in FIFA Ultimate Team for many reasons. There is a flat back four at the base of the formation, a double pivot in defensive midfield, three attacking midfielders and a forward in front of them.
One of the main appeals of this formation is that the two outside attacking midfielders can function as wingers while maintaining a CAM card chemistry slot. The possibilities are simply endless.
Another of the most popular formations in FUT, the 4-4-2 (Flat) is an excellent counter-attacking structure. The shape sits on two Strikers atop two flat banks of four.
The defensive and midfield lines can be compacted into a low block before springing quickly down the pitch at the break. Drawing two Striker cards in the same formation is also too much for some players.
- Read more: The best free-kick takers in FIFA 22
An increasingly popular formation in recent years in FIFA, the 4-1-2-1-2 (narrow) can be deployed in a variety of ways. The structure uses a flat back four, a midfield diamond, and a Strike partnership up top.
For experienced players, this is an impressive formation as it allows the full-backs to bomb up and down the touchline providing services to the Strikers. However, you will need to be skilled at recovering the ball quickly in urgent situations, as this system is vulnerable to counterattacks.
These are the three most popular FUT formations, however, there are plenty of other options that might suit your style of play better.
FIFA 22 Custom Tactics
Now that you hopefully have a base shape to work from. Let's take a look at Custom Tactics, because FIFA 22 promises to bring a lot of new content to the table. There are tweaks to offensive and defensive custom tactics in this year's FIFA, so here's everything you need to know.
The first and most notable change to tactics in FIFA 22 are the sliders for baseline depth and baseline width. Both now range from 1 to 100, which offers many more combinations and possibilities.
Players still have defensive style options of:
- sit down
- Pressure after intense touch
- Constant pressure
New attacking tactics have also been added to the catalog of FIFA 22. The main idea is that EA Sports has divided attacking football into two facets, Build Up Pay and Chance Creation.
Construction play is how your team behaves when in possession of the ball in your own half. You can choose to slowly build up your attack or try to push as fast as you can.
There are four different Build Up Play styles to choose from:
- Balanced – a balanced team that maintains its formation while building up the attack.
- slow build up – emphasizes a short passing game with a slower buildup.
- Long Ball – make runs for long balls played into space behind the opposition backline, or up to a target man for a direct attack that skips midfield.
- Quick build – pushes players forward for a quicker build-up, but if you lose possession of the ball you could find yourself exposed to a counter-attack.
The second of the offensive tactics, creating chances, is how your team will attack the opposition in their own half and create goals. Chance Creation comes in 4 styles:
- Balanced – for a balanced team that maintains its formation while building up the attack.
- Possession – a short passing game to patiently wait for an opportunity to attack, but will rarely provide runs penetrating the opposing defensive line.
- Straight through – create chances by running for passes into the space behind the opponents' baseline.
- Forward strokes – pushes players forward deep into the attacking areas, but if you lose possession of the ball you could find yourself exposed to a counter-attack.
Instructions for FIFA 22 players
A number of new player instructions have been added to the roster base for FIFA 22. This is welcome news for EA Sports players as it adds customization and allows players to create player styles. more unique game.
- Teammate Contain – As before, hold R1/RB in defense so that an AI-controlled teammate contains the ball carrier. Each player has a Contain Stamina that allows them to continue containing until they are depleted. Contain Stamina drains while the R1/RB button is held down, and once the containing teammate runs out of Contain Stamina, they revert to their normal instructions and enter a cooldown period of a few seconds where they don't can no longer contain.
- Free roaming – Now available for CDMs, Free Roam will allow a deep playmaking role to move in closer to support the ball handler and also drop deeper to receive a pass when in possession or during setup.
- Intensify – Used for both full-backs and centre-backs, Step Up can get them out of position and mark opposition forwards more tightly when they are free to receive a ball. This is the reverse of the Stick to Position statement.
- Overlap – For central defenders (only for formations with 3 or 5 defenders) allows the CB to overlap widely when in the right position and provide attacking support for teammates.
- Read more: The fastest players in FIFA 22 Ultimate Team
Excitement is building to an all-time high ahead of EA Sports' predicted drop. Be sure to check out our FIFA 22 tab for all the latest breaking content and information.